OMT – a digital marketing agency in Lahore – puts its expertise at your disposal by offering tips and advice to help you establish your communication strategy… In this article, we discuss natural referencing (SEO) and we explain why is it so important.
Natural referencing (also called “SEO” search engine optimization) is very important for any brand that wants to be visible on search engines, create traffic on their website, and attract more and more customers. This subject may seem complicated at first glance. And even if it is true that working on your SEO requires a lot of time, taking a few minutes to read this article will save you a lot! We explain…
SEO: what is it?
By definition, natural referencing, also called SEO (literally “search engine optimization”), represents the techniques used by search engines ( Google, Bing, etc.) to rank response results when a user does a search. The referencing of your site, therefore, corresponds to its place in the ranking for a given request. You should know that this classification is not final, a bit like a boxing championship. The champion constantly challenges his first place. So you can gain or lose positions in search engine rankings day by day, or even hourly.
Why do we say natural referencing? Because SEO is free and is largely about the nature of our content. It differs from advertising results, called SEA (Search Engine Advertising). You will obviously notice that the SEA is favored by search engines (yes the fight is a bit rigged…).
How to get referenced: understanding search engines
Natural referencing requires work on the part of search engines that you do not even suspect, but which must be understood to better tame the search engine algorithm. It requires several steps:
- Indexing: Before being referenced your web pages will go through the index regardless of the search engines you use. The index is a storage space representing a large database updated daily by search engines, this step called indexing, is the first step before being referenced. To be indexed, don’t worry, the engine does it directly by what is called the crawl.
- The crawl: We are not talking about swimming, you will have to understand that! Search engines continually crawl web pages to index new pages and remove deleted pages. To discover the pages, the search engine goes from link to link. This is why having links back to your site allows it to be better referenced.
- The SERP: the Search Engine Results Page is the results page that is displayed when a user types in a query. The search tool selects from its index the results that seem the most relevant to it.
Natural referencing: what is its interest?
Natural referencing: a significant source of traffic
When you create your webpage, you want others to visit it, but if your site isn’t optimized for search engines, you’ll get very little traffic. If you run an e-commerce site, for example, your business will directly lose profitability.
The position of your pages on the results page will allow you to have more or less traffic. For example, on average the click-through rate on the page in the first position is 36%, the second 33%. You will have understood it, the more you will be well-positioned the more traffic you will have.
Natural referencing: a visibility advantage
Natural referencing is a real communication advantage because, if done well, can generate a high traffic rate. These people who visit your site are potential customers.
Good referencing is therefore the solid basis of a good communication campaign. And remember it’s free. So go for it, but be aware that optimizing your site requires a significant time investment.
Natural referencing: how to improve it?
Now that you understand the concept. We are going to explain to you more concretely the actions necessary to be better referenced.
The technical aspect
When Google or any other search engine crawls, they don’t read everything on the site, it’s a waste of time. There are millions of other sites to scan. So you have to make it easier to read, the easier it is, the better you will be referenced. There are many parameters that come into play:
- The speed of your site: the server must be well configured. Its host, be well located according to your visitors (site. pk » if it is in Pakistan)
- Its structure: the easier the navigation, the better the site will be referenced.
- Page code: the fewer errors there are in the code sources (HTML, CSS, etc.), the easier it will be to read.
This is where the famous keywords and such come into play. Titles, naming of images, captions… The content must be consistent and, therefore, high quality, with a specific vocabulary, a precise theme, and a semantic field…
These are links from other web pages that redirect to your site, so-called “backlinks“. To have backlinks you need a site optimized at best on the technique and the content because they are a guarantee of good quality. It is important to have a good number of backlinks but they must also be of high quality. Make sure of the source of the backlinks and their reputation…. Of course, you also need to link to other pages internally and externally to improve your SEO.
It is, you will understand, essential to have a good presence on search engines. It has the advantage of being “free” compared to other possible tools to promote its image. Its only flaw is the fact that it requires a significant time investment.
SEO natural referencing is part of our expertise in digital communication, so do not hesitate to contact us. We will gladly take care of optimizing your natural referencing. Do not hesitate to consult our services to have more details on our offers and to discover all our expertise in communication.